The Presbyterian Church of Redding was an offshoot of the Union Sunday School which met in the Little Pine Street School near Placer and Pine streets. The Church was formally organized on November 17, 1878. Congregants continued to meet at the school until the first church was completed in 1881.
A bank now sits were the original church was built at the corner of Pine and Butte streets. A fire destroyed the first structure in 1915. A second church was built on the same site and served the congregation until 1958.
In 1958 the First Presbyterian church bought land “on the hill” up Placer Street. Construction on the new church building was completed in 1961.
The fellowship hall was the first sanctuary. The current sanctuary with its distinctive high-peaked roof was completed in 1970 and can be seen from many areas around Redding.
In 2003 we celebrated 125 years in Redding. Our next big celebration for 150 years will be in 2028!